Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pumpkin Chili (I & II)



Chili is one of those things I usually make when the weather beckons it, so often it ends up a conglomeration of various suitable ingredients I have on hand. Version I may not be very “chili-like” but more of a thick vegetable stew with beans, but I also like my chili loaded up with vegetables like carrots and squash. I decided to add some pureed pumpkin that I had (instead of chunks) and it was a success—making the base thicker and richer than it would have been otherwise (not to mention more nutritious). Proportions are variable, as are contents, so only rough quantities are provided here.
  • 2 carrots
  • 3 sunchokes
  • 2 small crookneck squash
  • 2 cups cooked beans
  • ½ bell pepper
  • 3-4 jalapenos
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • ½ cup roasted tomatoes or tomato sauce
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper
  • Broth or water
Chop all veggies into bite-size pieces. Fry ground turkey with onion, garlic, chiles, bell pepper and spices in the pot you will use for your chili (no unnecessary dishwashing here!). Add carrots and cover with broth or water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Add remaining veggies and as much broth or water as you are comfortable with. Bring to a boil again, then reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper and additional hot sauce if you like (my favorite: Chipotle Puree (Rick Bayless’ recipe)).


Basically Version II was the same except I left out the squash and sunchokes, used only black beans, and a bit more roasted tomato puree. A touch of molasses rounded it out nicely. The result was a thick, sweet-spicy (well, my bowl was spicy with the addition of more Chipotle Puree!) warming bowl of vegetarian chili.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The pureed pumpkin sounds like it was the perfect touch; I like my chili with hearty ingredients too :). I'd like to include your recipe on our blog, please let me know if you're interested.

Sophie, Key Ingredient Chief Blogger
sophie@keyingredient.com