I got the idea for this dish after I made a wonderfully simple dish of mashed sweet potatoes with meyer lemon juice and a bit of cream, as the squash is similar enough in taste to the sweet potatoes. I also managed to use up several containers of leftovers from previous pasta dishes, and as such, filling quantities are estimates...
Makes about 1 dozen shells
- 12 cooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 cup cooked squash (I mashed some cubed cooked squash I had, but you could use puree as well)
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small Meyer lemon, zested and juiced
- Dash nutmeg
- Garlic, basil, salt, pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients (except shells!) and stuff shells. Bake in covered casserole dish 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with more cheese if desired, or a simple lemon-cream sauce.
I made a simple roux with olive oil, flour, wine, lemon juice, basil, garlic and salt that dressed the shells lightly, and actually presented fairly well too!